Unfortunately, bullet points aren’t the best way to tell a product’s story. They look cold and clinical on the page instead of engaging the shopper’s emotions or imagination. This is a job for prose! By writing a paragraph (three or more sentences) or two about the product, you can set the scene and help the shopper realize why their life up to this point has been incomplete without it. It may seem daunting, but after some practice, it will become second nature and even (gasp!) fun.
This is your opportunity to be a little creative and establish a voice (personality and tone) for your brand — whether that be serious, casual or even irreverent. Just imagine you’re at a party, telling someone you’ve just met about the product. How would you describe it so that they’d understand how great it truly is?
In fact, following this simple formula below is a great way to writing compelling product descriptions:
“But this is going to take a long time,” you might be thinking, especially if you rely on product descriptions from your distributors or manufacturers. And you’re right, this isn’t a quick process. But, if you can commit to writing a dozen or so product descriptions a day using the formula above, you’ll begin to see a variety of benefits:
- An increase in conversion rate: Shoppers will be more confident in their purchase
- A decrease in cart abandonment: Again, increased confidence in purchase
- A lower return rate: Shopper expectations of products are more likely to be met
- Fewer calls from shoppers: They’ll have fewer questions about your products
- Better organic search rankings: More unique and original text content on your website